AUTOMATIC strength?

I seem to recall hearing of some issues about the AUTOMATIC and
LOCK-O-MATIC hub strength (Howard points out he blew one in a slightly
wet lawn).

Is there a strength issue to be concerned about vs. "standard" manual
hubs?  I recall reading the LOCK-O-Matic (I have the earlier AUTOMATIC)
hubs got a design change mid-run to a stronger assembly.

Any differences in strength between the AUTO mode and the LOCK mode?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs