Re: ignition switch removal

>Subject: Re: ignition lock, turn signals
>
>On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 09:50:26 -0500 Eric Walter <ewalter@domain.elided> writes:
>>Can anyone give me some pointers on replacing the lock tumbler on the
>>column of a '73 Scout?  The column looks like a GM column, I've got a
>>steering wheel puller, going to borrow a lock plate depressor.  What
>>holds in the lock(screw?,spring loaded tab?,...)?
>
>Yes, it's a '70 vintage GM, Vega to be specific column.  The cylinder is
>held in by a spring loaded tab, but I don't know specifically the removal
>procedure without doing some digging.

It's really pretty easy once you get the steering wheel off.  Theres a slot
where the spring loaded lock is located and you have to depress it to get
the switch out.  I found the best tool was a flat feeler gauge set, stacked
some of the larger ones until it nearly filled the slot and out it comes.
If you have the new one you'll see the lock tab.  My 71 Scout II was
missing the key when I bought it.

Tim McKusker
71 Scout II / 345