Re: Auto hubs and spools...

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Jason and Maria Colavecchia wrote:

> me that spending 600 plus on a locking diff installation might be avoided
> somewhat if i simply 'locked up' the front diff with a welder (I suppose a

This is kinda what I was getting at.. I could install a mini-spool
instead of a Lock-rite, and... in AUTO mode, have the same traction.. of
course, I would have the option of using LOCK mode w/ the Lock-rite..
unlike a spool'd version, which would NOT turn with things LOCK'd.

John H. says to avoid a limited slip for various reasons we've discussed
before.. but I *think* a Lock-rite (or mini-spool) would do find w/ the
auto hubs.. at least, I'll find out for myself soon!

And if things don't work out.. I have a set of IH/Warn manual hubs still
in good shape on the Dana 30 that's coming out of my '72..

> 3/  Pulling it into two wheel drive should nullify any bad handling habits
> otherwise requiring unlocking the hubs to eliminate

I'm about to tear down my Dana 20 and install the twin-stick shifters
that arrived last week.. :-)  With AUTO hubs up front, and some type of
locker, the twin-stick operation will come in VERY handy.

> DISCLAIMER:  I haven't actually got around to performing this little setup
> yet.  My scout is a daily driver, and although I have driven locker
> equipped scouts before on the road, I hit too much snow up here to risk
> losing it just to gain traction off road.  All of this is derived from
> reasoning and some research, but as soon as I can get another scout
> strictly for off road, its HAPPENING.....

Just how bad was it with a locked Scout in the snow?  I imagine I'll find
out next winter.. though the snow won't be as bad as the ICE we get
around here.. which, BTW, I think tomorrow will be our FIRST decent snow
this year.. had snow for ONE day, but it didn't stick... 57 degrees or so
today.. wow.

-Tom (who needs to tear down the passenger door and lube the lock tomorrow..)
Helena, MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs