Auto Hubs w/ Lockers

Just doing some musing last night (gotta stop that)

With open diffs, and AUTOMATIC hubs, I *don't* get compression braking down
a hill (or even on pavement, right?) from the front end.  The front wheels
are allowed to over-run the driveshaft.  This is because if the driveshaft
is still, the AUTO must remain in the "free" position.

*SO*.. because of the auto hubs in my donor '76 Dana 44, I'm considering a
Lock-rite (it's all locked or open I guess, and I want all locked!).

The lock-rite will allow one axle shaft to overrun the driveshaft, but ONE
driveshaft MUST turn at the same speed (x gearing) as the driveshaft.

BUT.. what happens when I'm in 4WD, making a turn?

The inside wheel turns slower, thus the Locker drives the inside wheel.
Outside wheel turns faster, overruning... either the AUTO hub overruns, or
the Lockrite overruns.. not sure which will happen first.

This will still cause me some bucking around a turn.. inside wheel turning
as fast as the rear end..

Originally along this thought I was thinking I'd avoid any bucking.. not true :)

BUT, would replacing the Lock-Rite with a mini-spool make one lick of
difference?  Obviously putting the hubs in LOCK mode will change
everything.. ;-)

More musings from Tom
Helena, MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout