Cleaning with gasoline

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, ihc-digest wrote:

> From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
> Subject: Re: Cleaning heads
>
> "Joseph M. Shaw, II" <MikeIIDC@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

> I use kerosene because it's cost effective and not as dangerous as gasoline
> and not as smelly as diesel, but any will work.  Just be very careful with
> gasoline...

IMHO gasoline is *too*volatile* (it vaporizes at low temperatures) to use
as a cleaner.  Winter gasoline is even more volatile (otherwise your gas
vehicle will not start at zero degrees).

A gallon of gasoline has the potential explosive force of 10 lbs of
dynamite.

Most people don't realize that gasoline fumes are heavier than air and can
travel (the fumes seek the lowest level) surprising distances until the
gasoline vapor-air ratio drops below explosive potential.

It's a big surprise when the fumes reach your workshop or garage heater
(*surprise*KABoom*).  The survivors get to watch your garage or house burn.

I suggest mineral spirits or kerosene as a grease - dirt solvent.

Hope this helps

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided