IH for sale

I saw a 1965 IH truck driving down the street with a for sale
sign on Sunday and actually followed it until the driver pulled
into a parking lot and introduced myself.  I decided that I do
not need another truck right now but in case anyone is interested
the following is what I think I understood about the truck and
it's condition.

1965 "3/4" ton - the trim which identified the model is missing.
It has the large 5 (6?) lug wheels (not like my 1110 and not the
8 lug wheels that are on the 1210).  The springs seemed quite small
for a 3/4 ton, however.

The owner is asking $600.00

It has a 304, automatic, shows 50k (probably 150, not 250), the
body is straight and has a fairly decent paint job on it and it
has a flatbed (approximately 8 feet long - more on the flatbed below).

It has a good sized oil leak - the owner said it is the rear main seal,
the steering box leaks and he said the steering is stiff (I did not
drive it).  There was evidence of water in the crankcase - quite a bit
of white material in the oil fill tube and in the dipstick hole, but
the oil itself was clean (recently changed, I would assume) and
it did not have that creamy quality that I saw in an engine that had
a very serious water leak into the crankcase.  So, I do not know, it
could just be a combination of the truck being driven only around town
and a bad PCV valve, but it is worse than my old ford when I lived in
a colder and damper climate.

He also said that it has a new carburetor and a valve job (could it
be a head gasket leaking?).

Another point is that the flat bed is made of pine (I inquired because
it did not look like rot-resistant wood) and it had a camper on it for
some time.  I think the camper kept the water off of the wood along
with the varnish and so the pine is still in good shape.

The owner does not have a phone but he can be paged at 650-528-8924.
I think that he lives about 30 miles south of San Francisco so I suppose
that this is only useful for people in the San Francisco Bay Area.

- Allan