Cleaning heads

Sorry for my monopolization of the digest today, but I have ten
questions every time I walk back outside and start working again after
posting my last question.  Anyway, assuming I actually get the heads off
of this thing, what is the best substance to use to clean the parts that
I have off with?  Just to clean the dirt, grime, and grease that has
accumulated over the years.  I would like to clean all of the parts off
well before putting them back on, but don't know what will be most
effective and safe.  I was going to just "GUNK" everything and spray it
down good, but don't know if "GUNK" has any abrasive qualities to it.
If so, I guess I would have to msak the finished surfaces of everything
before cleaning-and I can't very well mask them when all exposed
surfaces are too greasy for anything to stick to to hold the masking in
place!  (Catch 22!)  Someone suggested Brake Fluid, as it is supposed to
eat through nearly everything, but I didn't know about this for sure
either.  I think this suggestion was from someone off of the digest that
I trusted, but I have changed on-line servers and in deleting some stuff
lost many of my old files.  Anyway, any suggestions on this topic would
be appreciated.  And for any of you that are still reading this (I'm
better than "NYTOL," huh?), the bracket that I can't get off of my
intake manifold has numbers stamped in it too.  I didn't write them
down, but it has a 7-10 digit or so number stamped on it's
back/solid/flat surface, and is about 1" x 2".
As usual, all suggestions gladly accepted, and GREATLY appreciated!
Michael