Re: Engine Cut Out [Was: Colorado Trip]

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:58:46 EST, kenlipo@domain.elided (Ken J Hitchcox) wrote:

>Thanks all for the help with the headlight problem I was having in
>Colorado. I had a long but almost incident free trip home. The only
>problem was the scout completely died for about 2 seconds - no power no
>electrical at all, then came back to life and was fine for the rest of
>the trip - about 14 hours. I suspect the battery cable but plan on
>replacing ALL the grounding wires that I can find with more positive
>grounds.

Ken,

I can *almost* guarantee that the cut out problem is in your firewall
bulkhead connectors.  The pins in these multi-pin connectors are notorious
for corroding somewhat and causing intermittent connections.  With your
Scout running (idling) try grabbing hold of each of the two connectors in
turn and jiggling them.  You may find your engine will cut out.  Several of
these wires carry juice important to the ignition operation.  If you
disconnect the engine harness connector, the engine will not run.

Happy New Year,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |