removing heads-345

Hey, everybody!  It's me, the butt of all your chuckles, the "overfiring
guy."  Well, I've taken loose all hoses and wires that I must to remove
my heads in the quest to see if there is carbon build up causing
pre-ignition, but in my incomplete manual, in which I did find the
disassembly directions, it says to remove the intake manifold prior to
the valve covers.  In the pictures I can't really tell, but can I avoid
taking off the intake manifold in removing the heads.  This has just
occurred to me, and it's midnight here and I really don't want to go out
and look right now.  If I could save time by not removing something
vital, believe me I would.  All I have to do at this point is take off
the A/C compressor, Alternator, and PS pump and I'm ready to go-unless
the intake has to come off too.  In case any of you don't know what I'm
doing, I'm trying to get the heads off completely to clean out any
deposits I might find.  Please let me know if you get this.  I start
finisg up tomorrow.
Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!
Michael