Brake Light Switch for the new daddy

>From: Jeffrey.Deaver@domain.elided
>Subject: Brake Lights
>
>Hi All.
>
> With a new kid due anyday now, my '58 A-102 is quickly becoming my daily
>driver as the Toyota wagon will be left home for the wife.  And wouldn't you
>know it... the brake lights stopped working recently.   I have a service
>manual coming, with the wiring diagrams, but need to get this fixed quick, as
>you can imagine....
>
>So, I started to study the problem last night... seems the switch for the
>brake lights is attached to the master cyclinder?

That's the way it used to be, Jeffrey.
The fluid from the pressure in the master cylinder closes the circuit in
the switch. You can test that switch by putting a continuity tester across
it's terminals and having someone push on the brake pedal. If pressure
completes the circuit, the switch is OK. Another test is to jump between
the two wires that attach to the switch and see if the brake lights go on.

>In anycase, I don't think its the switch, directly anyway.  I would assume
>that one of the wires running to the switch (assuming that was the switch)
>should be hot, but neither were (and yes, I had the ignition on).   Of
>course, the wires run into another mess of wires all taped up, so its
>impossible to trace them back without removing all the wrap around the
>wires.... but I figured one probably went back to the regulator..

Nah, not to the regulator.

so checked
>those.. all were hot, 12V, except one... but it was white.. and the wires to
>the switch are green.. which I realize does not mean anything since it could
>be spliced any number of places.
>
>So the question is basically, does anyone have any advise on how to proceed?
>Am I right about that thing being the switch?  I'd really like to avoid
>removing the wrap around all the wiring in the engine compartment.. but
>perhaps it is necessary.   Anyone got a wiring diagram for a '57 a-102 with a
>BD240 they are willing to share?
>
>By the way.. the wiring back to the lights is ok.. blinkers work, hazards
>work,.. its just the brake-lights that don't work.

I can't remember if the 57's had separate blinker  and brake bulbs. If they
use the same bulb, your problem is the switch at the master cylinder. If
they use separate bulbs, you can't conclude anything about the switch and
need to test it.

>Thanks -Jeffrey :-)
>'58 A-102 Custom Pickup, Grandpa's Farm Truck (got the cattle gates too! talk
>about a head turner!)

John Hofstetter a.k.a. Ol'Saline, who's been a lot of places none of us is
allowed to go anymore and that's a real tragedy, and who to quote the
senator from Texas, "has more guns than he needs but not as many as he
wants"
79 Scout Terra with 8000 lb. Warn Winch, Detroit Locker in rear and limited
slip in front, 4" Trailmaster lift kit, Holley Electronic Fuel Injection,
Mallory Unilite Distributor                                  MSD ignition
"It's a legend", but it's too darn long and too darn wide sometimes to go
where I ask it to go.

National Rifle Association Life Member   California Rifle and Pistol
Association
Blue Ribbon Coalition                    Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group             MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators  Life Member