Re: Project Tonto

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Paul Brakefield wrote:

> Dadgum, I wish I had had a Scout II when Willie did Tonto.  I'd have paid
> more attention!!  Are there any pics of it anywhere, like on the
> Fourwheeler web site?  Tom?

Nope.. no photos that I'm aware of, short of the hard copy rags I have in
my drawer at work.. BUT, I *do* have a Scanner at work..

I also missed an issue some where.. d'oh.  Must've been between buying
the mag at the stores and when my subscription kicked in.. Project TONTO
scored one for Four Wheeler from me. :)

I can look into making a few scans to pass around.. Maybe I'll send
Willie an email and see what he has to say about it..

He never did make any plans for the bumpers.. just chalked it up on the
garage floor, and fitted it all together.. I was fortunate to visit
Willie and bring along a tape measure (Tonto has since been sold to a
wealthy German and flown across the pond).

I will tell you.. shhh.. that the front bumper on TONTO wasn't square!
Those with the magazine article, you may notice that on ONE side of the
"box" winch mount, the side triangle meets right at the corner of the
box (in front).. whereas the other side (driver's side?) the front edge
of the "box" extends out a little bit before the triangular side meets it.

:-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs