Re:Gas Tank???

<<Hi all,

<I'm new to the mail list, but I have been looking through the archives for
<a while for some answers to some of my questions.  Didn't really find what
<I'm looking for so I'm hoping you guys can help.
<I have a 70 Scout 800A with 304/3spd.  When I bought it a year ago it was
<missing the gas tanks.  It had a stock car fuel cell in the bed.  Works
<O.K. but It's in the way.  I don't know much about Scouts yet, but I'm
<having a lot of fun learning!  One thing I do know is that they're scarce
<as hens teeth in southern Ohio.  I haven't yet seen another 800.  I've
<even been combing the backroads hoping to find one in someones yard.  Can
<we say obsession?  Anyway, my question is, Where are the tanks supposed to
<be on my Scout?  It looks like one should be under the bed and the other
<in the drivers side rear wheel well.  I've called all the Scout parts
<shops I know to try to buy a new or used tank, but they all chuckle and
<tell me "Good Luck".
<Any leads on locating one would be greatly appreciated!

<Also I'm beginning to swap out the 3spd and install an auto (727 I guess)
<from an 80 Scout II that I bought for drivetrain parts.  Is this possible?
< If so, any advice on the transplant?

<I have a ton of questions, but I'll stop here for now.

<Thanks!
<Dale Downey
<ddowney@domain.elided>>

Let me start by saying, don't be scared, nobody bites on this digest (that I
know of anyway). In fact, everyone on the digest is very friendly in my
experience. Heck, some of the guys are even knowledgeable!!! Don't be afraid
to post something. Also, if nobody responds to one of your posts, don't get
mad or down. Just ask away, and one of us is bound to help. I myself am a 15
year old who probably knows less than you. I have a '65 Scout 80, and am
constantly learning. It took me a while, but now, I post something in just
about every other digest. I always have questions. As for your fuel tanks,
they both mount in the same spot on either side, right in the front of the
bed, behind the cab. You are going to have to get two 11 gallon fuel tanks,
two straps, plumbing, twosending units, and a two way switch to return your
Scout to stock specs. Or, you could get a single 19 gallon fuel tank, one
strap, a sending unit, and some plumbing out of a single tank 80 or 800. I
wish you luck.
Devin Smith
'65 Scout 80