alternators

My new 71 is showing a discharge of amps & volts at every condition
except very high RPM. I put a volt meter acrossed the battery  at idle
and can watch the voltage drop at a very stedy pace. I think this is the
alternator. Am I right? I have access to a bus alternator that is larger
in size than our stock one. Will it fit the bracket?

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
1979 International Scout EXR                              (Extreme Rust)
Have a Happy Holiday and a Safe New Year.