Re: A little problem - Dim headlights

Ken wrote:
>Got one problem that is worrying me.  I have a strange ground problem (I
>think). I drove to Mostrose which is about 45 miles away last night. When
>I left, the lights were real dim. Thought maybe I was due for some new
>contact lenses but then about 5 minutes into the drive, they brightened
>right up. Drove into town, saw Mouse Hunt. Scout sat for about 2 hours.
>Well, on the way back, I stopped for gas (been doing a lot of that). When
>I pulled out of the gas station, the lights went out completely, but the
>engine kept running so I pulled into the gas station again, the lights
>came on but real dim, then I decided to risk the drive back and then
>almost immediately, the lights were at full brightness, maybe too bright.
>Weather conditions: 20 degrees/clear. Any ideas? Could the cold be a
>factor? I suspect a bad ground in the front somewhere but maybe a voltage
>regulator? Could too much voltage be going to the lights?
>
>Sorry about the bandwidth, but I'm 900 miles from home and don't want a
>breakdown in the middle of the drive back this Saturday.

>Ken

I had a similar problem on my Scout.  Turned out that the ground wire from
the engine to the body was broken.
Connect one end of a set of jumper cables to the NEGATIVE battery terminal
and the other to the body.  If your lights get brighter you know your
ground path from the battery to the engine to the body is poor.  I
installed a 1 inch wide braided steel cable between the engine and the body
and haven't had any trouble since.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs, CO