Onboard Air

Not that this hasn't been talked about on the Off-road Digest a few times
(and even on here) but..

Just wondering how the stock Scout II York compressor converted into an
on-board air system compares to a "conventional" air compressor.

I spent some quality time in the Auto / Air Tools portion of Walmart
today, looking at cut-off tools, impact wrenches, *paint sprayers*, *sand
blaster*, and other fun things (air hammers! heh).

I also looked (not at Walmart) the $1000 5hp 2-stage compressor I'd
*like* to have, and the $300 Cambell-Hausfield unit at Walmart.. and
started wondering how an on-board air would compare.

The CH parts all have this nifty color and shape coded tag on 'em that
will tell you what will operate what.  (i.e. the 380lb-ft impact wrench
wants a 3hp w/ reservoir)

So how would an on-board air compare?  I've heard they can flow a good
deal of air, at some rather high pressures.. but, assuming it's all
capped off at 150psi (run 90-125), what type of cfm would I be looking
at, at idle and at 2000rpm? (or wherever).  Also, what "hp" rating would
it be the equivalent of?  Would I be able to use my on-board air system
to... oh, say.. PAINT my Scout?

I'm thinking of setting up BOTH of my Scouts with on-board air.. John
Landry's stories of "normal" people's AWE when he pulls out the air line
to air up their tires has me convinced.. plus the coolness factor of
pulling out an impact wrench to help someone change out a tire on the
trail (or more stubborn bolts).

I was thinking I could just park my '77, with the 196, outside of the
garage, and run the hose inside for paint spraying or sand blasting or..
whatever duty on the '72.  Granted, it'll cost some gas money.. but, if
it gets too bad I'll just buy a "real" compressor for the garage.

I also plan to mount an air tank of some sort under the bed of my
Scouts.. put it just behind the "step" and in front of the rear diff.
Should do just fine under there, though draining any water out might not
be as easy as I'd like.. Not sure what size to use.. find a used semi
brake tank, or spend the $35 for a 12gallon tank at Walmart..

-Tom (having one of those thoughts again) Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs