Re: Jacks (again), Rear corner replacement, Wheels, Legos

>On the subject of jacks:  mine is missing, as apparently are many.  What do
>you use/prefer for day-to-day driving.  Bottle, scissor, etc?  Can off the
>shelf stuff be made to fit into the passenger fender area, or do you store

I imagine you could find a new bottle jack and adapt it to fit in the stock
location.. BUT, that same place makes a good spot for a spare battery..

While I think a scissor or bottle jack would be bettter, when I got my '77
the jack was broken (it was there, just wouldn't.. uh.. jack), so for the
time being (7 months now or so) I've just kept my Hi-Lift in the truck..
thus far, I haven't had to use it for a flat (though I've used it a number
of times getting myself off things I shouldn't have been on, or for lifting
other things, or lots of other uses).  I keep it mounted behind the driver's
seat.  If you move the top shackle attachment down one bolt hole, you can
then stand the Hi-Lift up in a Traveltop Scout II (not sure on the
Traveler).  I have a 5-piece G.U.S. repro rollbar, and I used a longer bolt
on the front leg behind the driver's seat, and that bolt sticks out far
enough, and at just the right height, to slip through the Hi-Lift jack body
and I put a wing-nut on the end.  Perfect.

>On the rear corners:  the rear corners, where the rear light cluster lives,
>hard is it to get these babies out and into a different ride?  Obviously
>not bolted in...I would assume spotwelded.  Any advice?

I recall they are spot-welded in place.. *BUT*, I also remember the '79/80
supposedly have.. PLASTIC housings.  I've never owned a '79/80, so I can't
swear it, but take a peek and see if they're plastic.. that's a whole
'nother situation.

>with small rectangular holes in a circle around the hub hole.  They looked
>great with 31 10.5's.  I heard there was stock IHC rim that sounds a lot
>like these.  I'd hate to have to buy a whole new set.  Anyone with photos
>on the net of what the rims are supposed to look like?

I know there are a few photos buried on my website.. just the "Scout Photos"
link.. pics of stock Scout IIs, and they definitely have wheels like you
describe.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs