More opinions needed

My brother in law, who is a VERY good mechanic (professional), suggested
not long after I bought my 72 Scout II that I go get some of the Gunk
Engine Flush (I think that's the name, but you guys know what I'm talking
about) and run it through the engine to clean out the old grime and stuff.

I don't really mean to mistrust him, but over the years I've heard some bad
to go with the good, things like causing seals to leak and causing new
clogs as the loosened crud flows to new places.

I'm just looking for some of those "I tried it" opinions-

Paul Brakefield
"Dirtball"

1966 IHC Scout 800- "The Beast"
Chevy 350/SM465/Dana20