Learning about mechanicing

Dear Luke,

I'm still fairly new at wrenching on vehicles myself.  The best way I've
found to learn is to ask somebody who's done something like what you're
doing.  I've asked every mechanic I know or have met about rear axles since
mine gave out, and I'm ready and rarin' to dig into it when the weather
clears (ie, tonight!).
I've also found that having a parts manual helps you to learn how things fit
together.  Even backhoe and bulldozer parts manuals have taught me a lot
about machinery repair.  Third, and most important, make sure you have all
the tools you need to accomplish the job at hand, including any gauges or
testers you might need.  Having the diagnostic tools (feeler gauges, vacuum
testers, etc.) will make a tremendous difference in whether your repairs
work or not.
BTW, my '73 behaved just as heinously, and I installed a cheap ($12.99)
rebuild kit in my carb AND adjusted the accelerator valve to correct the
problem.  Right or wrong, my accelerator valve wasn't engaging quickly
enough, so I SLIGHTLY bent the linkage from the throttle to the valve so
that it was under tension and would engage as the throttle was being opened.
It worked for me.

Merry Christmas,
Denni
'73 Scout II/V-304/TF727/Dana 20/One big hammer for brake drum removal :-0