Luke's Carburetor Woes

I have a 72 Travelall, 392 Automatic used primarily for heavy towing
use.   Luke needs to rebuild his carburetor and put in a new fuel filter
for starters.  Once that is done, he nees to look and see if the
accelerator pump cam is still on the carburetor.  Mine broke and fell
off.  You could idle the vehicle all day, but as soon as you tried to
accelerate, the engine would die instantly.  Upon restart, it would
backfire and destroy the power valve in the carburetor.  The accelerator
pump cam is hard to find, unless you have a junkyard nearby that has any
old 427 or 460 Fords in it.  Their truck engines used the same
carburetor (Holley) with different linkage and jetting.  I rebuilt the
Holley on my 392 about a year ago, towed a 30 foot sailboat (a lot of
windage as the top of it is 13' 1" off the road) to Key West and back
(to Detroit) and have gone another 10,000 miles with no carburetor
problems.  I put in a large fuel filter ahead of the fuel pump to keep
the trash from the fuel from getting to the carburetor.  This filter
needs to be changed regularly  due to the rust and water in the older
fuel tanks, unless of course you have new tanks in the truck.

Hopefully, this will help.

Good Luck