Brake drum removal, future greasemonkeys

Hey folks,

My brake drum removal tool is a 10lb sledge hammer with a 16 inch
handle. I tap on the outside of the drum first, then start on the
outside of the face. Rotate the axle and keep tapping.  I haven't had
one not cooperate yet. I suppose if that still didn't work, you could
break out the hot wrench(torch) and start heating the drum  to make it
expand off the axle end. This would subject the brake cylinder to
damage(cheap to replace) and could damage the axle seal(pain).  If the
drum then hangs on the brake shoes, push the drum back on and try to
loosen the adjuster. If the adjuster is stuck or doesn't help, try
bleeding off pressure on the brake cylinder(Use a 6 point socket only!).
Sometimes the small pushrods coming out the cylinder move out too far
and jam, leaving the shoes stuck in the out position. This is often a
symptom of brake drums worn or turned out of spec. Pulling out slightly
on the drum and lifting up can sometimes move them back into place.

For those of you just learning how to work on your scout, truck, car,
etc.
--Remember that education isn't cheap. Sometimes you have to break
something to learn how it really works. Cuts, burns, bruises, empty
wallets, mad spouses, are the seals on your diploma!

Mark Prescott
77SSII