	Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 01:36:33 -0500
	From: dfeagins@domain.elided (Denni Feagins)
	Subject: Rear brakes

	Dear folks,

	        My rear brakes on my Scout II are shot.  Rust has eaten
off parts of
	the drums and I would like suggestions on what to do to replace
or upgrade
	them.  I've got a few questions before I tear into this darned
axle (this is
	the one with the shredded Trac-Loc).

	1.      How do you remove the rear drums?  Are the pressed onto
the end of
	the axle?  I've tried coaxing (gently, really!) the drums off
and
	parts of the drums just snapped off!

	2.      Has anyone got a replacement source for the rear brake
drums?  The
	only         price I've gotten so far is $75.00 per drum.
Seemed a might
	high to me!

	3.      Has anyone installed rear disc brakes? Are there any
aftermarket
	suppliers for IH Dana 44 rear axles?

	4.      What's the biggest tire being successfully run on rear
Dana 44
	axles?  I         want to install 33" tires on my Scout and I'm
concerned
	the Dana 44         might not be strong enough.

	I really appreciate your help.  BTW, does anyone have an old
rear diff
	they've laid aside in favor of a Detroit or limited-slip diff?
I'd even take
	a trac-loc to get my Scout moving again!

	Thanks,
	Denni Feagins
	'73 Scout II/V-304/TF727/Dana 20

	End of ihc-digest V5 #72