Books?

In reference to Luke's (I believe) problems, and from my past experiences,
I must admit I'm in the same spot as he.  I have done fairly extensive work
on my engines, from my '64 Ranchero to my '87 Toyota 4x4, with a lot of
strange choices in between.  I've changed clutches, distributors,
radiators, rebuilt many carbs, etc.  But to be honest with you, I still
don't gap my own points.  As I've said before, I've always been really
lucky at diagnosing, and if I take something apart I can usually get the
thing back together right and in better shape than it was in, but I really
(I have recently come to realize) don't know diddly about engines!!!  In
case you're curious, I'm the one who has idiotically dubbed his problem
"Overfiring."
I do read the digest constantly-I usually get one first thing in the
morning (I'm on West Coast time), and get one when I come home from school,
and always open up the computer first thing out of bed and back from school
to read it.  A lot of the stuff goes over my head, but I try to follow it
anyway.
What I was wondering is:  Would anyone give me a list of their top three
books for basic engine repairs?  I've read some very basic books on "the
internal combustion engine" growing up as a young Grease-Monkey wannabe,
but really have never gotten a good book describing basic repairs.  I have
the "Chilton" for my '73 Scout, and have a repair manual I bought for
$75.00 from Madison's Outback for my '68 T'all (which is incomplete and I
paid this sum for it over 5 years ago!!!).  These however assume a certain
amount of expertise/understanding that all manuals do, leaving those of us
that never truly learned the little details flailing in the wind.  I think
Tom's "Reader's Digest" collection probably sounds like the kind of thing I
need, or a "Time/Life" type of collection, but I haven't seen or heard of
such an offering in years.  So anyway, anyone who wants to put in .02, and
there seem to be plenty of you, please give me some suggestions!  Also let
me add that I have learned an incredible amount in the month or so I've
been on the digest, but I worship the ground that some of you walk on.  Tom
in Helena-I pictured you to be a 75 years young grizzled mountain hermit
that had worked for an IH dealer since the age of five!!!  I really respect
the knowledge that you subscribers have, and really appreciate all of your
helpful suggestions.  Please give me some repair manual/book tips!
Thanks!
J. Michael Shaw, II

'68 T'all
'73 Scout II