Even more info on my travelall

Well I went to time it, cause I am thinking, maybe it needs timed.

I get it right at 0 degrees on number 8, and then I remember "Doh, you
need to pull off the vaccum advance to time" so I go to pull that off and
WAM, it dies.  well atucally it chugged for like 3 seconds and died.  And
I go to stry to start it again and it just won't stay started, it chugs,
backfires, chugs and backfires and smells too. but wont stay started.  it
is like by pulling off that vaccum adcance, it sets the timeing WAY off.

So... Am I timeing the travelall wrong?  should I replace the points?  How
do you replace points? should I replace the condenser also?  Should I go
get a nice JATO unit and imbed it in the side of a Arizona cliff?

Thanks for you time,
	Luke