Re: EFI and Jacobs Ignitions and Winches

Howdy Todd,

Jacobs Ignition
I purchased the Jacobs ignition, and currently am installing it.  The
kit is California smog legal, and it is very easy to install (the tricky
part is finding mounting places for the coil and the controller, since I
did not want to mount the coil back on the engine.  the coil is going to
go where the gold box use to be and the control unit will probably be
mounted under the windshield wiper cowl.).  I have not run the engine
yet, this should occur over the next two weeks.  The Jacobs I think was
about $350 if I remember correctly.  The next scout I build, I may try
the MDS systems if I run short of money (very likely).

Fuel Injection
I had to look real hard at this.  A new 4 brl spread bore holley carb
was about $230 from Summit.  A holley pro-injection kit from Jegs was/is
about $499 for the analog system and about $599 for the digital system(
not sure the difference, somebody want to post it?).  Add to that the o2
sensor 'kit' for a closed loop system for $193 ( although I don't know
what this 'kit' includes, if it is just the o2 sensor, (you can buy
these for under $50 elsewhere and run your own wires) or if the 'kit' is
more complex than that.)  So you are at $500 to $800 for fuel injection.
I went with the new carb, and the difference will pay for my winch(
okay, most of my winch <bg>).  I heard that the Holley ProJection
systems are REAL sensitive to ground and supply voltage, and this is
where most of the installation and running problems originate from.

Winches
I think I will go with the 2 speed milemarker winch when I get to this
point (i.e. money).  I feel like this will be the best choice for my
application.  As long as your truck is running, you can winch forever.
I will add a P/S cooler when I install the winch.  If the truck dies,
somebody else will have a winch to help.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Hope this helps,

Epp
74 Scout II
76 Terra
78 Traveller (parts is parts)
75 Travelall (undergoing complete renovation)
75 Travelall (undergoing complete parts scrounging for the above)
Member ScouTenn
"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds"