Carbs and gaskets

This is kind of long winded (but not so much of a Tom M. thought
process!), so please bear with me.
Just a bit of info for all of you.  I rebuilt my Holley one-barrel last
spring.  I got a rebuild kit and rebuilt it myself, sitting in the
passenger seat of my Scout over a period of about two nights.  Mind you I
wasn't going all that fast.  But anyway, I rebuilt it and adjusted the
float to the 3/8" the way the specs said to do it.  I hadn't really had it
running until last week, and when I did get it running (I was waiting
until I put a fuel filter in the sediment bowl), I had gas pretty much
spraying out of the top of the carb.  This carb is on a 152 (1966).  So, I
figured, adjust the float.  When I went to pull the float bowl off, the
gasket pulled off too--in half.  I thought, great, I'll just go to
CarQuest and get a new one.  Hahaha, the only way I could get another
gasket for it is through a rebuild kit, which is another 30 bucks.  Jason
gave me a piece of Cut-a-gasket, and I went to BigA and found the same
situation.  AutoZone I might as well not even consider anymore, they don't
have diddly squat.  So, I go home and call NAPA.  They say they can have
one on Saturday (this is last Thursday).  I went ahead and cut out a
gasket from that Cut-a-gasket stuff, and ajusted the float and put the
bowl back on.  Good, the gas is just dripping now, gasket isn't thick
enough.  Well, I called NAPA on Saturday, it wasn't in, they said they
would have to reorder, call Tuesday (yesterday).  I called yesterday, NO
ONE in the country has it apparently.  They have to special order it from
somewhere and it has to be made.  They said to check back on Friday, so I
will know then.
Anyway, for those of you who have stuck with me this long, I guess what I
am trying to say is a couple of things.
One, the specs that come with the rebuild kit for the one-barrel Holley's
aren't right on the 3/8" from the top of the float bowl to the float.  I
don't know what mine is set at, but I will measure it when I get the new
gasket.  Someone else has told me their's is the same way.
Two, get some Cut-a-gasket when/if you rebuild your carb, or anything
small, for that matter.  Trace the gaskets on the C-a-g and you will have
replacements for when you need them.  Get some thicker stuff, though.  Or
double it, I haven't tried that yet, or cut it a little large, if
possible.
Three, now that I am thinking about it, I might just get more than one of
these gaskets for future use.  I *hope* I don't have to mess with the carb
for a while, but if I do, I will have new gaskets to use.
Anyway, I don't know if all this was worth the bandwidth or not, but I
hope it helps any of you who will be rebuilding a carb in the future.  I
don't have the books for mine, but it wasn't all that hard.  I had rebuilt
a carb for a B&S engine about 4 times in as many days last spring, and
there were a lot of similarities.  I don't mean to scare anyone, it really
wasn't all that hard.  Just watch were the spray from the carb cleaner
goes after spraying it on things.  I found out the hard way it _hurts_
when it gets in your eyes.
I will try to get a part number and measurements when I get the new
gasket.  Thanks for putting up with my length.

Dan Felix
1966 Scout 800 - "Sweet Machine"
1965 Scout 80 - parts