Re: freaking travelall - the saga continues

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Luke Nelson wrote:

> tuneup (excludeing points cause I have never done those and I am awaiting

I was afraid too.. then I needed to change 'em on my Honda CL350 ('72)..
ain't all that bad.

Look at 'em.  Remove the screws holding one set in, pull out, replace.
Repeat with the others.  Follow the shop manual to set the right gap..
have someone tweak the starter until you get the points as far open as
they'll go, measure the gap, loosen screw to adjust the gap.  Then roll
it through a cycle (w/ starter) and make sure the points close.. If you
have two points (my 2cyl Honda had one set for each.. no distributor!)
just repeat the process.

BTW, my Honda would get around 40mpg (same as mom's Sporster 1000 or the
1200cc HD we have).. my 196 Scout gets 15 to 20mpg.. and my 304 would get
8 to 13mpg.  OTOH, that little 350cc motorcyle had more giddyup than any
of my Scouts..

> need to apply a little gas to accealrate.  I don' know if I am calling it
> the right thing in calling it the butterfly valve.  It isnt' the choke
> warmed up, and then you get to hitting the gas and that little butterfly
> thing opens up - it bogs down and dies.

Hmm.. typically poor throttle response is attributed to a blown power
valve.. which, BTW, backfiring (in some Holley carbs anyhow) can destroy
the power valve.. :-)  I knew you'd want to hear that.

It actually isn't getting enough gas.. the power valve is an "auxiliary"
squirt of gas to help your motor out when you first floor it.  If the
power valve isn't working, you end up with a very LEAN situation.. not
'nuff gas.. which would, IMHO, cause your T'all to buck and sputter,
though if you slowly apply throttle it would work fine.  I don't know if
it should CONTINUE to buck and sputter, or if it should eventually smooth
out (doesn't matter if you can't keep it running at that point..)

> all that wise to sit your head over it to watch those butterfly valves
> while someone runs the gas - it can backfire and you then loose your
> eyebrows (I am really fine and I dont' have acne no more either :)  Thank
> goodness I had a hat on :)

Reminds me of the potato cannon I built way back when (1.5" steel tube w/
a plate on the bottom.. NO, I couldn't find potatoes big 'nuff, but pepsi
cans worked fine).  I was attempting to set it off w/ some hair spray and
a match, but it wouldn't ignite.. so, I decided to look down the barrel
when I tossed the match in to see what was causing the problem.. yep,
sure 'nuff, I melted my eyebrows and some of my hair.. lucky for me, I,
too, was wearing a hat... (I've since grown much wiser.. yeah, right!)

> 	But does this sound like it is flooding out, does the mean I need
> to rebuild the thing?  any info os greatly appreicated.

Hmm... I always thought IH motors couldn't get enough gas, and that it
was impossible to FLOOD these gas guzzlers.. :-)

I hope someone with more experience in this area chimes in.. but that's
my best guess.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT (still fear carbs)
www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs