Rear axle bearings

Last night, I just happened to witness an '86 Bronco 9 in. rear end being
rebuilt, I dont know if we can make a comparison, but here's what I
witnessed.  The old brearings coming out were tapers with the seal behind
the race in the housing.  The new set up was what I would call a one piece
setup with the bearing and seal being pressed on to the axle then the whole
unit slid into the housing.  I don't know what brought on the change, but
you may run into the same change in D44 apps.  Not sure though.
Food for thought,
Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20