Re: T-case input gear

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 07:04:22 -0600 Todd Thomas
<tthomas@domain.elided> writes:
>Does anyone know how to tell a Dana 300 and a Dana 20 input gear
>apart?  Do they have a different number of splines and if so what are
their
>numbers?

The differences are in the number of teeth on the back side of the gear
for the shifter--the 20 has 19 rather square teeth with an outside
diameter of 2 7/16", the 300 has 15 smaller and more rounded teeth with
an OD of 2 3/8".  The gear itself looks the same.  Disclaimer:This is
true only if I have the gears correctly sorted out.

>This is for a T-19 trans although that should not matter.

It doesn't matter if you don't mix manual and automatic
transmissions--the manuals have a 6 spline output shaft, the auto has 30
splines so the gears are not interchangable.

>Also would a T-19 from a ton 2wd truck have the same output shaft as a
>T-19 in a scout.  Without dropping the T-case I can not visually
compare.

I don't believe so--in the Scout the 4x2 has a different mainshaft than
the 4x4--I believe it's a little longer to allow for the speedo drive
gear and a thicker mainshaft rear bearing retainer.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts