Reply to the alternator problem

On the first day I had my scout I also had the alternator problems,
after fighting with it in the dark (to get home)  I slept on the
problem.  The next morning I checked it out throughly and found that
the wiring harness to the alternator went over the engine had melted
over the years and had cooked on oil which also helped.  I replaced the
wires and sanded all the alternator connections and fixed it's ground.
NO problems after that good as a new alternator again.

If that does not work take a LARGE screw driver flat head down against
the alternator while the truck is running and listen your ear goes
against the handle (like a tuning fork). A good alternator
will hum rithmically, a BAD one will sound like its grinding sand
once you hear a bad one you'll know.  try it on a good car to hear it
then your scout if you've never done it.

			Good luck
				Ed Kraus
				1974 Scout II
				1987 Kawisaki Ninja 250