RE: ihc-digest V5 #64

The AMC V8 swap for a 258 has been extensively discussed on the digest.
No one
on the digest has gotten around to doing it yet.  I have
attached a post from a while back that outlined what I knew then.
I have learned more and clarification follows that cut and
paste post.
Tom:
Since every time I contemplate this out loud someone asks about it, I
respond to the digest. Here is what I have learned.  I have not proven
any of it but it seems to be the consensus of many people.

The details on swapping AMC V-8s for a 258 are:
*	The bellhousing bolt patterns are the same.
*	The motor mounts do not need to be modified.
*	The flywheels are different for a 258 than for the V-8s and also
between the different V-8s (304, 360, 401, and others).
*	A V-8 from an automatic will not work with a manual trans. ( I
have not chased this down yet but it supposedly has to do with the
crankshaft.)

I have learned enough that I feel the next step for me is to find a
reasonably priced 360 that was originally mated to a manual trans, pull
the T-18 from my Scout and see if it bolts up.  All I have to do is find
the 360.  This highly technical method of engineering an engine swap is
the perfect solution to all my questions.  My garage is the perfect
place to make it happen.

The only response I had in my quest for a 360 was one up by the Canadian
border. A long way from Orange County.  I checked local shops and they
wanted $600 for one needing a rebuild.  I'll buy the adapter plates and
go Chevy before I pay that for a 360.