Re: Shackle reversal thoughts

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, BRYAN ANDERSEN wrote:

>  I considering a shackle reversal with my spring-over. Ive been doing
> alot of looking, measuring, and thinking about it.
>  I can't help wondering if the factory engineers might have had it right
> after all or why they designed that way in the first place. There  must
> be a reason, I just haven't heard it yet. It's not just Scouts either.
> mounted shackles. Why? On the other hand Chevy and Dodge with the rear
> mounted shackles use negative arch springs. This too moves the axle
> designs before I go through with the reversal.

Here's what I recall from past hashings on this one...

First, as we've seen, the axle stays closer to "center" most of the time,
making the factory engineer's jobs that much easier.. not too much travel
front/back to deal with, and if it goes anywhere, it'll try forward, but
you also have the force of smacking something to deal with..

You also can get by with less slip in the front slip yoke..

Those might not be the best reasons but..

Others I've heard include the "negatives" of "most" RS setups.. which can
include SEVERE "brake dive".. you nail the brakes, your truck lurches
forward like usual, but this time the front axle is allowed to roll
rearward, kinda making your truck roll forward on both axles, and then
the front end takes a sharp dive down.  This is considered BAD by most
people..

hmm.. It's late and I can't seem to remember all of the other reasons..
perhaps Terry Rust will refresh our memories..

-Tom