Re: ihc-digest V5 #56

>ihc-digest          Monday, December 8 1997          Volume 05 : Number 056

>There are two that I have seen in person. The Scout II has a long pickup
>that goes to the rear of the sump. The Travelall/pickup is a shorty that
>goes to the front of the sump. I *THINK* the third kind is a rare rear
>sump 4x4 Travelall or for the REALLY early 266-345's in industrial trucks
>with a larger capacity oil pan. ( or maybe there are more than three?
>possibly)
>
>Owen Minor
>Tacoma,WA

I've seen one more, though it might be the same one as in the heavy trucks.
A few models of IH combine (815 & 915) were apparently equipped with the
V-304 and V-345 engines with a completely different oil pan and engine
mounts.  The pan didn't have to clear any pesky front axle so it was huge
and had a longer oil pickup (as I recall) than the light trucks (and
certainly my Scout) had.
I asked before, but has anyone ever seen the engine oil cooler that was
installed on the engine in the 815 & 915 combine?  I was wondering if it
would be any benefit to add an engine oil cooler to my V-304, and thought
I'd better ask before I drive myself nuts chasing down a factory cooler...
My guess as to why the combines had an oil cooler is that combines don't
really have a very high road speed (unlike John!?!) or a very high operating
engine rpm and the oil needed additional cooling.

Denni Feagins

'73 Scout II V-304/TF727/Dana 20 (and a totally FRAGGED Trac-loc on my rear
axle...)