Towing, again, and again

Hi all,
I am a little behind(as always, but this time college finals are my
excuse).  About the towing questions and comments:
I don't know if the tow vehicle was ever mentioned, but I have a '76 Scout
II that I used to tow a '48 Willyz (for a friend) from Seattle Washington,
to College Station, TX.  Covered just over 2300 miles, (still got over
11mpg, but i digress.....)
I was looking through my handy-dandy owner's manual, and for towing a Scout
on the road, no trailer, here are the tips they give:
"TOWING THE VEHICLE (Automatic and Manual Transmission) SCOUT 4x4 WITH
TC-143 SINGLE SPEED TRANSFER CASE"

"If it becomes necessary to tow the vehicle, remove the rear propeller
shaft and place the transfer case in 2-wheel drive position to overcome
gears rotating in transmission or sprockets rotating in transfer case.
Placing the transmission in neutral position does not relieve the need for
disconnecting the shaft. Lubrication will not be adequate when the
propeller shaft is permitted to turn. If your vehicle is equipped with
front wheel locking hubs (manual or automatic) place the hubs in "FREE" or
"DISENGAGE" position."

Also, for Scouts with the TC-145 2-speed transfer case:
either pick up the rear end(a must) or remove propeller shaft. (that is for
the 4x2)...."The Scout 4x4 can be towed wiithout removing the propeller
shafts by placing the transfer case in neutral position and the
transmission in high gear."

It goes on to say....."If your Scout 4x4 is equipped with front wheel
locking hubs, hubs (manual or automatic) must be in "lock" or "engage"
position for towing. Rotation of the front axle propeller shaft assures
lubricant circulation in the transfer case.  The Scout 4x4 may be towed
with the front end picked up, the rear propeller shaft must be disconnected."

Sorry this is so long, but I would hate to see someone tow a vehicle as
precious as our Scouts only to ruin something.  Also, no matter what you
tow it with or on(or flat/road tow) make sure you have the tongue capacity
to tow it safely and legally.  And check to make sure you hook up the
lights properly too.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to email me directly.....and I
hope these tips help....I don't think the owner's manual can be wrong, but
who knows...

Jim Coyle
'76 Scout II
345v8/tf727