Re: ihc-digest V5 #55

>	Sorry about the forthcoming stupid question but all the talk
>about lifters and oil pressure has got me worried. My '74 Scout has one
>bad lifter on the #2 cylinder (it ticks) -I was just going to replace
>it. My oil pressure has always been O.K. judging from the stock gauge.
>So my question then is, 1)How likely is it that oil pressure is good
>given I only have 1 bad lifter? (140K on engine, Truck wasn't driven
>for several years before I bought it a year ago, runs excellent
>otherwise) 2) could their be a problem with oil distribution given
>the recent discussion on the poor quality of the stock gauge.

I don't think you have a problem given what you tell us. If the pressure
is low enough for the lifters to talk to you, you'll know it. Personally,
I wouldn't even mess with checking the pressure with an external gauge.
One or even two lifters clattering is not unusual at all.
John
>3)Assumeing the worst -- I check the pressure with a good gauge and it
>comes out low,what do I check for on the oil pump?
>	Other issues, the sticker thing sound like a good idea -has
>anybody thought about using the old triple diamond logo ('30's style)
>with ihc-digest below it?
>
>						Thanks in advance,
>						Tom Kemp
>						Fort Collins, CO

I really like the triple diamond with ihc-digest below it idea.
John

John Hofstetter
Life Member, National Rifle Association
Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"