Re: Towing a scout II

<<Has anyone out there tried flat-towing a Scout ?  I'm a little
worried about it's steering, as it doesn't return to center
worth a damn.  In my understanding, you are relying on the
return-to-center to keep the towed vehicle in line.  Is this
true ?  If so, can anyone suggest a solution ?>>

  Clay,

      I recently  towed a 1980 Scout behind my pickup about 850 miles. I
tied the steering wheel with a tarp strap so it could move, but had
enough tension to bring it back to center. This setup worked great, I
traveled at speeds up to 70 mph depending on conditions. I was a little
concerned about having enough brakes to stop the added weight, but it was
no problem for my '84 F*rd F-250. I would install some kind of
stop/turn/tail lights for safety. Also I attached the tow bar directly to
the frame using the holes provided for the front  tow hooks.

   Another option, I have seen some nice looking trailers available from
Ryder, they have brakes, folding dovetail, etc.. I don't know the
capacity on them however.

  good luck

Eldon McFarling
Ceresco, NE