Liftgate Lock Tumbler

IH All!,
  Time to drop the cloak/lurking shield and holler for help.  I ordered a
set of tumblers for my '74 II from Super Scout.  The shop manual says
"Insert key, apply LEFT pressure, and insert shim stock to remove tumbler"
Not knowing what shim stock was, I took the whole mess to a local
locksmith.  They had no trouble swapping the door tumblers, but the lifgate
latch was another story!  Two of them spent almost an hour trying to get
that tumbler out.
   There is a small hole centered on the shaft right where the locking
collar from the NEW tumbler would line up.  The 'smiths could not find the
release through that hole so they drilled a couple more, one on either side
of the original hole.  (I figure to slap on a little J.B. Weld AFTER I get
the tumbler out)  Still no luck.  They never did get it out.  They also did
not charge me for their time - closet IH fans!  If anybody has removed the
tumbler from the lifgate latch I sure would like to know the secret.
   OBTW, the new tumblers from Super Scout needed to be keyed by the
locksmith.  That cost about 25 bucks on top of the 40 for the parts.  My
'smith said the old tumblers just needed a good cleaning and keying, at the
same cost I paid just to have the new tumblers keyed!  I am NOT whining
about the bucks to Super Scout.  They are not responsible for my lack of
research before hand.  Hope this info saves somebody else a few ducats.

					Mike

Mike, Rita, and Megan Stenstrom
stenmnr@domain.elided (home)
stenstm@domain.elided (work)
UNIX and LSD... the two most popular things to come out of  Berkeley.
I don't think it's a coincidence!" - Anonymous