Re: ihc-digest V5 #53

>RossWal wrote:
>>
>> Bryan (I hope this is going to Bryan, it was hard tell who was who on the
>> posting),
>>
>> I have the same problem on my 73 345, though the bottom end was replaced w/
>> used  before I bought it so I don't know the year of my bottom end. Anyway,
>> too high a rev down the freeway, and a clatter like you wouldn't believe
>> develops. Only happened twice, now I know the limits.

Bryan, I believe, didn't get the lifter clatter that is built into (not
by design) the ihc V8's that warns us that the oil level is too low or
that for some reason the oil is not getting to the lifters. Many of the
opinion to Bryan's problem. My guess is that your clatter occurs when too
much oil is up in the heads, and not enough left in the oil pan to be
picked up by the oil pump. Bryan's problem seems to be that the oil is
there (no clatter) but the pressure suddenly is reduced while maintaining
the same rpms (a bothersome occurrence)

>> I've heard the oil pick-up for the pump was changed in about 75 or so, maybe
>> to resolve this problem.

Having had numerous V8 ihc vehicles pre 75, I never experienced this
phenomenon, but I won't generalize based on my experiences.

Howard, do you know anything about an oil pickup fix?
John

John Hofstetter
Life Member, National Rifle Association
Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"