Re oil pressure

>Bryan,
That doesn't sound anything like a problem that would be solved by
changing oil brands or viscocity. First of all, I'd check the gauge by
using a non electric oil pressure gauge installed temporarily to see if
you get the same results. If the results are the same,

I have an SW mechanical oil pressure gauge which seems to be accurate.

> I'd check the oil
pressure cutoff device (pressure limiter), which off hand, I don't
recall
the location of on a Scout, but could look up for you in my shop manual.
I visualize the spring on that device as getting bound up and not
returning to apply pressure to the ball as the oil heats up and loses
viscosity. Then when you drop the rpms the pressure drops some more and
allows the spring to unbind. (wish I hadn't started this visualization)
Anyway, it doesn't have anything to do with the kind of oil you're
using.
John

Visualisation can be a powerful thing. Is the valve in the pump? I would
like to know some more I you get time.

Bryan