big tire spares

I actually started a thread on the ORD a while back asking if anyone made
"doughnut" spares in 31/33/35/ 44? inch tire sizes.. NOPE.

The closest anyone would offer would be if I ran 33x12.50 (33x14?), I could
buy a 33x9.5 for a spare.. but, other than that (and they dont' usually
offer sub 9" wide tires over 31"), you're stuck with a full size spare.

Like John Landry, I've been fighting this issue.  My '72 had 31s on it for
some time without a full size spare.. CAUTION:  the day after I bought my
'72 a full size (used) 31" spare, and a shiny new chrome modular (to match
the others) I took my Scout to the brake shop.. I had *THOUGHT* (wrongly)
that the Scout would have been appeased by my $70 spare tire expenditure..
instead it got greedy, demanding $1000 in brake service!!!

(but, a blessing in disguise, this prompted me to buy my '77 with brand new
brakes for $700.. which I then decided NOT to part out.. now I have both,
and a new front axle and brake repair parts in the garage, and a full-on
buildup planned.. heh)

Now I'm trying to determine my NEW tire plans.. when my '72 is "done" in the
spring, it'll be sitting on my 31s.. but wanting some 33s.

Can't decide on buying whatever deal of a used 33 comes my way, or blowin'
the $135/tire (and $100/rim) on a set of 4 33x12.50" BFG ATs.. but, then
I'll need a spare.. buy a used one?  Or.. maybe a cheap-o $100 33x9.50" BFG
Trail TA (smaller spare!).. or maybe I cough up another $400 and buy two
33x12.50" BFG MTs.. and, in the spring mud season, put the MTs on the rear
and use one (or two) ATs as a spare.. rest of the time carry the MT as a spare..

*shrug*

-Tom