Hood latch

>>I know of no way to open the hood when the cable breaks short of removing
sections of steel with vigorous instruments.

That seems kind of drastic.  When I was rewiring my dash, I had to unhook
the hood latch cable.  I stupidly let the hood drop without hooking it back
up, and immediately realized that I had no way to open the hood.  I figured
I has going to spend the whole day fishing through the firewall hole, or
reaching up from underneath to try and release the hood latch.  But I stuck
something through the firewall hole (I can't for the life of me remember
what I used -- coat hanger, maybe?), and on the first try hooked the latch
and popped the hood open.

The point is, there are easier ways to open the hood when the latch is
disconnected than "removing sections of steel."  Of course, my dash was
removed, which made the operation a whole lot easier, but still...

Rob