re: overfiring

I had a similar problem in an old Plymouth some years ago. It turned out
to be a small bit of crap settled in one of the cylinders and got super
heated by the engine firing. Once the the engine ran for a few minutes,
the crap got hot enough to cause pre-ignition. Needless to say it ran
pretty badly. I managed to solve it without tearing the head off by
listening to the engine to pinpoint which cylinder was the problem, then
with the piston at bottom, stuffed some cotton rope in the cylinder via
the plug hole. I then turned the engine by hand a few times to move and
compress the rope against the cylinder wall. This seemed to do the
trick. Good luck

-Bennett Moe
'53 R-110 (waiting for a new stablemate)