Re: Tire Diameter

     Steve,

        I'm not entirely sure where the number 2.5% came from in
     whoever's post it was.  I'm pretty sure that tire manufacturers
     adhere to a standard so that when the tire is loaded to it's rating
     (usually like 1150-1700 lbs for an LT tire) it won't be more than
     XX% of it's intended unloaded specified psi diameter.   The side of
     the tire has a weight rating and a psi rating cold.  This has an
     included safety factor to allow for Brake/Road friction heating,
     ambient heating, atmospheric pressure, load changes, etc.   I was
     rather surprised to hear the 2.5% actually,  I think the number is
     closer to 10% reduced at load.  ie.  31" tire shrinks 3.1" loaded.

        Anyone else have ideas?  I suppose if we all called our favorite
     tire stores we could compile quite a list of lies, only to weed
     thru and find the truth!

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.