Distributor cap

>If I understand you correctly, it sounds like it runs OK most of the
>time but occasionally is somehow firing at the wrong time.  The only
>place I can think of where a spark could get routed to the wrong place
>at the wrong time is the distributor cap.  I've never seen what you
>describe happen, but I suppose if the cap were cracked in exactly the
>right place a spark could jump to the wrong wire sometimes, especially
>when the weather is damp.  Take a look at the distributor at night when
>it's pitch dark, while the engine's running.  If there's a crack in the
>cap it'll light up like a lightning bolt.

If the cap has tracks inside caused by a defective rotor, you will not
see them or sparking without removing the cap and carefully examining the
inside.
John

John Hofstetter
Life Member, National Rifle Association
Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"