Tires for David and compliment for Dan

>The other consideration is how "aggressive" of a tread design you want.
>Many folks choose "all-terrain" type tires because they want better fuel
>economy on the higher.  They give up some traction off-road as a result.  I
>run a pretty aggressive tread on my tires even though most of my driving is
>on-road, simply because I want good traction when I do head off-road and
>don't want to own two sets of tires.
>
>If you're an occasional off-roader (like me) and don't do aggressive
>trails, then 10.5x31-R15's would be an acceptable size upgrade.  This size
>rarely causes any steering or suspension problems (even with stock height)
>and is still a bit bigger than what you have now.  Prices are pretty
>reasonable on this size too.
>
>Happy shopping,
>
>John
Hey Dan,
That formula is an interesting one to know. Should be in the FAQ if it
isn't.

David,
I have the same Dunlops in the same size as John Landry except I have the
Radial Rover in the all purpose tread. I've had up to 12.50 X 33 down to
10.50 X 32 and now have the 10.5 X 31. The larger tires had some
clearance advantages, but my Scout lifted 4 inches just is a lot better
handler for me with the 31s. Mickey Thompson who made both the previous
sets of tires I've described is now making an off-road radial tire rather
than just bias ply, and I like the way the Mickey Thompson tires have the
sidewall partially protected by a tread-like pattern. I'm not
recommending the MT's because I got terrible tread life out of the bias
plys, but the radials should do a lot better. Also the sidewall
protection didn't really work for me as I managed to punch holes in the
sidewalls just inside of the protection. Sometimes I ran the Thompsons at
8 psi and the bulgy sides gave me wonderful traction, but made them very
susceptable to rock damage. Recommended max pressure was 24 psi, I think.
Made to run fat and exposed. I like the Dunlops although I see a lot of
white spots on the sidewalls where rocks have scraped off the black.
Dunlops in our part of the country are about 25 % cheaper than the other
name brands and are highly recommended by Consumers Reports for SUV use.
(For whatever that is worth)
John

John Hofstetter
Life Member, National Rifle Association
Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"