Carburetor "stuff"- HELP!

OK carb gurus, I'm looking for a starting place here because I certainly am
not a carb guru!!

I put on a generic Holley 2 barrell today, the one with the manual choke
that you see listed in several of the specialty catalogs.  After I got
everything buttoned up I hit the starter and it started right up, idling
better than it ever has.  Since we are having such a warm day I decided to
take it out for a spin with the choke open and not yet hooked up (ok, so
maybe EVERYTHING wasn't buttoned up!).  Well, it bogged big time (I use
this description from the old hot rod days of hitting the gas and the
engine almost dying because you should have downshifted).  It acted like it
was missing.  Well, I went back home, got all of the choke stuff properly
hooked up, and started up again.  This time, I experimented with the choke
as I hit the gas (it's an automatic tranny, by the way, so I was in the
right gear!!).  It wouldn't run for anything with the choke all the way
off, but when I gave it 1/2 to 3/4 choke it ran and accelerated fine.
Before, it took forever to get up any speed on the local highway.  I went
back out there after playing with the choke and it ran right up to 65, no
problem, except for a little feeling that something still wasn't quite
right.  Still just a little feeling that it was trying to hesitate and buck
just enough to feel.

I don't know what size jets it has and I'm not even really sure how to
adjust the mixture (gotta buy a Holley book SOON).  It's driveable, and
even liveable, but I know my mileage (I know, what's that?) is even worse
than normal.

Where would you start?  It runs better right now than my old one did so far
as starting from a standstill and knowing that I can scoot across the road
without waiting for all traffic to clear because it's gonna die.  However,
the old one was better once you got going.  I like this carb because of the
manual choke and am going to keep it, but I am accepting all suggestions on
where to start looking.

Thanks guys and gals, I await your answers-

One more thing.  My speedo cable is screwed into the transfer case and is
hooked up at the back of the speedo itself but does not work.  Probable
cause?

Thanks again-

Paul Brakefield
"Dirtball"