Re: Fwd: Air Filter Housing Help

STEVEROO@domain.elided scribbled in the sand:

>Forwarding message received in answer to my request for help.  Thanks to all
>who replied.  Went with the 10x2 for now, but don't really like it.  Seems
>too small for all that engine.  May try something else later.  Thanks again.

Steve,

Unlike having too large a carburetor, you can never really have too big an air
filer... but the 10" x 2" filter you have is plenty big for your stock 345.
It all has to do with the amount of air ingested by the engine verses the
filter area.  The IH 345 engine redlines at only 3800 rpm, so the airflow is
relatively low and the 10" x 2" filter is actually slightly *larger* than
what's needed.  I don't have the formula in front of me, but I crunched the
numbers one time when I was in the same predicament you're in, and it all
checks out fine.  It doesn't matter what the filter "looks" like... as long as
you change the element on a regular basis (before it gets clogged up) it's big
enough to do the job.

Rest easy and save your money for other goodies.

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |