Re: manual choke conversion

I'm thinking of converting the thermal-controlled choke on my Holley 2210c
over to a manual.  My understanding is that I might be able to improve my
mpg a bit with savvy use of a manual choke.  I looked at a manual choke kit
the other day, however, and now I have some questions:

1.  Are some kits better than others?  What should I look for?

2.  Will the manual choke still need the vacuum choke pull-off?  Does it
hook up the same?

3.  I assume the fast idle cam and linkage work the same, right?

4.  Most importantly, how do you effectively use a manual choke?  Closed on
startup, I guess?  What about a warm startup?
How quickly can you open the choke up?  How do you employ the manual choke
to get mpg gains?

Well, its really easy. (kinda' like how some people really think that driving
"stick" is hard, when really its quite easy) Its just that you are given
control of the choke. I just pull mine all the way out (closing butterfly) on
every start. I don't know how long it takes others' Scouts to start up, but
mine starts in about seconds. So in that 2 seconds, I just ease my choke in
real nice, untiil it gets about 2/3 the way in. Then I usually have to pull it
out a bit and ease it in one more. It does require listening to your rpms,
which can be shaky on a cold start. Its never a problem though. I don't have
to give it any gas or anything, she just cranks up. On warm day starts, where
the engine is still "cold", same thing. It seems to crank over a little
quicker in the warm weather though. For warm starts, where the engine is
"warm" as well, I usually don't need any choke. But sometimes I give it choke
anyway, 'cause it starts up quicker that way. If you've been driving for like
a 1/2 hour anyway though, no need. She'll crank up easy as pie. Hope this
helps.
Devin Smith
'65 Scout 80