Ref: New Parts - drag link, Strate Steering Brace, Wandering Scout

>Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:35:09 -0500
>From: Ed Kraus <Edkraus@domain.elided>
>Subject: new parts
>
>Well, I bought some parts...
>being a new scout owner and new to scouts all together it was tough
>to decide I was not getting ripped off (or did I???)
>
>I bought lock set, 2 doors, 1 ignition, and 1 tailgate locks $30.00
>I think that was a good deal.
>
>but I feel I got gouged on a 3-piece tie rod assembly, I got a Brand new
>3 piece rod so from now on I can change the tie rod ends.  $179.00
>
>I'm also planning on next month getting the bolt on frame brace, its $70
>any suggestions as you can tell I have a small tracking problem.
>either that or my scout was made for either lane (it's choice not mine.)
>
>I also need steering box bolts where it mounts to the frame they are
>loose, but I don't know where to get them or how to describe them so
>that I can get the right ones.

>		any and all thoughts accepted.
>		Edkraus@domain.elided
>
>		2month owner of a 1974 Scout II

Ed,
  I also paid $30 for a lock set, which I don't think is a bad deal.  The 3
piece assembly was to replace the drag link, right?  The drag link goes
between the pitman arm and the steering knuckle.  The tie rod connects the
steering knuckles.  I know Gryphin Automotive in Denver sells heavy duty 3
piece drag links for $150.
   I bought the Strate Steering Brace for the frame the first week I owned
my Scout.  I wanted to check how much play was in my steering box so I had
a friend work the steering wheeling back and forth (with the engine off)
while I watched the steering box.  I was surprised to see the entire
steering box moving about 3 or 4 inches at the top.  The Strate Steering
Brace took about 20 minutes to bolt in and eliminated about 90% of the
movement.  I will eventually strengthen the frame at the steering box with
some 3/16 or 1/4 steel.  I would check the wheel bearings, ball joints, and
tie rod ends also.   Usually the steering box will have a lot of play in it
on a vehicle this old.
  Scout II's have a tendency to wander anyway because they have 0 degrees
of caster.  Caster is just a backwards tilt of the steering knuckles, which
like the rake on a bicycle or motorcycle, makes the wheels resist changes
in direction.  Caster also makes the steering wheel return to the straight
ahead position.  For the 1980 model IH added 2.5 degrees of caster which
helped a bunch.  If your Scout isn't lifted you could put a 2 degree shim
between the spring perch and leaf springs to tilt the axle back.  This will
increase the pinion angle, making life a little harder on the u-joints.
But I think as long as the Scout isn't lifted it would be ok, and the Scout
will definitely drive better.
  New longer steering bolts come with the Strate Steering brace.  I got
mine from Giddum Up Scout for $80.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs, CO
2nd month owner of a 1980 Scout II