Re: What do I have, really?

<< Subj:	 What do I have, really?
 Date:	97-11-12 05:04:44 EST
 From:	jeff_gann@domain.elided (Gann, Jeff)
 Sender:	owner-ihc@domain.elided
 Reply-to:	jeff_gann@domain.elided (Gann, Jeff)
 To:	ihc-digest@domain.elided

      I am still investigating all of the nooks and crannies of my 67
      Travelette.  It seems that IHC put stickers and labels all over the
      place.  I did find most of the line setting ticket on the back of the
      drivers sun visor.  It say that my truck is outfitted with the
      following:

      FA 18                      Front Axle
      RA 17 SR Power Lock        Rear Axle
      T141                       Transfer Case
      T-34                       Transmission
      12in12spg                  Clutch

     Jeff,

     Here's what you have (really):

      FA-18      Front Driving Axle   3500#   Mfg. model number was not
identified, my guess would be Dana 44 closed knuckle. look on the housing web
for the model number.

      RA-17      Rear axle       Dana 60 with lock, 5500#

      TC-141    Transfer Case        New Process    Mfg. model not
identified.

      T-34        Transmission         IH Synchro, OD in 5th.    This is the
only item that was manufactured by IH. here are the ratio's: 6.21, 3.43,
1.81, 1.00, .823, R 6.090.

      12in 12 spring    Clutch         Can't determine the mfg. without the
code, several different brands were used.

     << The truck is a 3/4 ton, but it looks more like one ton or better when

      you look underneath.

      Are these all IHC manufactured parts?  Or are these model numbers IHC
      numbers for other manufacturer's parts?

      Is there anything I should be wary of? (ie; prone to need frequent
      seals, bearings, etc).  Any help is appreciated.

      Jeff Gann >>

       From the looks of it your drivetrain is more than "Bullet proof" for
example the same transmission was used extensively by IH in mid sized trucks,
even behind Diesel engines up around 200 hp. Should last forever with proper
care.

        I can't think of anything you need to do,other than normal
maintenence. There are some upgrades for the T-34 transmission that can be
done if it ever needs to be overhauled.

    Good luck

     Eldon McFarling
     Ceresco, NE