Engine Washing

I've always wondered how hard spraying cold water all over hot manifolds
and such would be on the engine.  I had a sad experience where I cracked a
favorite cast iron skillet by forgetting it on a stove then putting it in
the sink under running water.  It seems to me those exhaust manifolds get
about as hot!

Is this a problem, or do you just somehow not get any water on the
manifolds?

--- John
71 Travelall 1110 (Gathering parts for a front end rebuild)